How to cook tasty brown pilau, family meal.
From generation to generation, pilau, which is a major Swahili dish, has been a family tradition. This family delicacy is prepared uniquely back at home and I would like to share it with you.
Here are the necessary ingredients you would require;
- Half a kg of goat meat
- 1kg of pishori rice
- 2 whole red onions
- 3 peeled tomatoes
- Half of garlic
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of pilau masala
- Black pepper
- Half a cup of cooking oil
Once you have all your ingredients you can start off the preparation;
- Season your diced goat meat with a half a tea spoon of black pepper and salt then put the meat to boil for 20 minutes
- As the meat boils, prepare your onions by dicing them
- Peel off the garlic cloves, dice the ginger and pound each separately with a pistol and mortar.
- Dice or blend your peeled tomatoes
- Sieve and wash your rice thoroughly
After a good preparation of all your ingredients, you can now kick off the cooking;
- Take a huge sufuria and place it on a jiko or cooking gas
- Put in your cooking oil and let it heat up
- Place in your diced onions, toss them around and let them cook until they turn to golden brown
- Put in the pounded garlic then follow it up with the ginger
- Once they have all browned, pour in all your spices and salt to taste then let them cook for a minute
- Put in your meat, mix it up with the spices until it is crunchy
- Put in the tomatoes and let the mixture cook on low heat.
- Pour in the rice; let it cook as you continuously toss it until all of it has browned well.
- Pour in 1 and a half a jug of boiled water and let it cook
- When the rice is almost dried, reduce the heat and cover it for 7minutes
- After the 7 minutes are over serve your pilau with salad or ripe banana
There you go! How about you build your own family tradition from this? It is simple and quite easy to make.